The creative team behind Pilsen Fest is debuting a series of culinary events that include an array of local cuisine and feature some of Chicago’s most innovative Latino chefs. Highlighting more than 20 restaurants, the group “aims to expose the Latino community to the deep pool of cultural talent that exists in the Pilsen neighborhood and the Chicago metropolitan area.”
“The dining Mecca known as Pilsen will showcase its celebrated Latino restaurant scene with the inaugural Pilsen Gourmet, February 29th, followed by Pilsen Restaurant Week, March 1st – 7th. From the producers of Pilsen Fest, both first-year events aim to give locals and visitors alike a taste of one of the main reasons Pilsen was ranked one of the top 10 “coolest neighborhoods in the world” in 2019.
Pilsen Gourmet: Saturday, February 29th
Over 20 restaurants from Pilsen and the nearby Chicago area are convening on February 29th from 5 pm to 10 pm under one roof (1647 Blue Island Avenue, Chicago 60608) to showcase the talents of some of today’s leading Latino Chefs making an impact in the industry. This new gourmet and specialty foods celebration doubles as a fundraiser for Pilsen Fest – the community’s cultural event of the year each August. The ticketed Pilsen Gourmet event (on sale through https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4516744) features chef demonstrations, unlimited samples of culinary specialties, an array of craft artists, a silent art auction and live Latino contemporary music and DJ’s.
Details are as follows:
· Cooking demos by prominent Latino Chefs from the Chicagoland area, including:
- Dudley Nieto: Head Chef of Takito Street in Lincoln Park and well-known culinary consultant.
- Francisco López: Head Chef and Owner of New Rebozo in Oak Park (voted best restaurant in the area by Mexican government).
- Diana Dávila: Head Chef and Owner of Mi Tocaya Antojería in Logan Square.
- Daniel Espinoza: Head Chef of Cantina Laredo in River North and host of the weekly cooking segment Univision Chicago’s Primera Hora morning show.
- Atzimba Perez: Founder and Head Chef of Atzimba Catering and Events.
- Rodolfo Cuadros: former Chef at Carnivale, now helms Amaru in Wicker Park.
- Manny Mendoza: Head Chef and Co-founder of Herbal Notes, a culinary experience centered around community, music and cannabis exploration.
- Biba Galindo: Head Chef of Soy Viva, a Mexican owned pop-up restaurant focused on unique vegan dishes.
- Remaining list of participating chefs to be announced soon on http://www.pilsenfestchicago.com/
· Over 20 local restaurants providing signature food samples from their venues, including:
- Cinco Rabanitos
- La Luna Restaurant
- Cantón Regio
- Paulette’s Public Market
- La Esperanza Mexican
- Taquería Sabor Y Sazón
- Remaining list of participating restaurants to be announced soon on http://www.pilsenfestchicago.com/
· Local breweries pouring special edition beer samples and local distilleries serving distinctive cocktails.
· Ten local craft vendors showcasing and selling their jewelry, textiles, clothing and crafts.
· Two Pilsen musical groups and three DJ’s from the neighborhood playing during the event.
Pilsen Restaurant Week: Sunday, March 1st – Saturday, March 7th
Following the Pilsen Gourmet kickoff night, many of the colorful and diverse flavors of Pilsen’s renowned culinary scene will be on full display for an extended period at the 1st Annual Pilsen Restaurant Week. Over 20 participating restaurants are planning special pre-fixe menus showcasing traditional and contemporary dishes for seven consecutive days, March 1st through March 7th. Unlike Chicago Restaurant Week, the Pilsen Restaurant Week concept focuses on hyperlocal cuisine that reflects the neighborhood. Intended for either the Pilsen dining newbie or the experienced regular, guests are encouraged to return often throughout the week and taste their way through one of the city’s most heralded food destinations. Pilsen Restaurant Week lunch and dinner options will be available daily for a set price (determined by individual restaurant, no advance purchase/tickets necessary however reservations are strongly recommended). The full list of participating Pilsen Restaurant Week restaurants will be announced soon on http://www.pilsenfestchicago.com/pilsen-restaurant-week.html.
Pilsen Gourmet and Pilsen Restaurant Week are organized by the team behind Pilsen Fest and Pilsen Community Market, a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation.”
# # #
Press release provided by Grimaldi PR.