“Their journey from absolute anonymity to be one of the most recognizable bands in the independent scene in Spain, without help from any record company, has become an inspiring system failure in the music business.”
As their unconventional rock songs reach out beyond their hardcore fandom and into new music circles, it’s almost hard to believe that Spanish rock band Vetusta Morla has been performing for almost 20 years now. The indie band, which got started in the late 90s, is currently on a major tour – Mismo Sitio, Distinto Lugar – and after playing more than a dozen countries in Europe are now visiting the US and Canada in the next months. Vetusta Morla will perform in Chicago this weekend, on Sunday, Oct. 6 at Bottom Lounge along with Chicago bands The Braided Janes and Dharma. Tix are available here. (Note: this is an all-ages early show with doors at 7pm and show at 8pm.)
About Vetusta Morla:
- The band is from Tres Cantos in Madrid and was formed in 1998.
- After releasing a series of singles, they published their first full-length independent album, Un Dia En El Mundo, in 2008.
- The band’s name comes from the turtle in the book La historia interminable, by Michael Ende.
- Their second full-length, Mapas, was released in 2011.
- The band’s recordings are self-published on their label Pequeño Salto Mortal.
- Aside from music, the band also delves into art projects like their 2016 “Memoria Instantánea” with Temas de Hoy. It’s a book detailing their travels across Europe and America through a series of photographs and personal writing.
- Their newest album is Mismo Sitio, Distino Lugar, which is also the name of their current European/US/Canada tour.
For those of you who haven’t yet had the pleasure of listening to Vetusta Morla’s music, we’ve put together a video playlist of some of their songs, including videos of live performances so you can see fan reactions. If you enjoy their music as much as we do, we highly recommend that you also take a look at the pieces they create with each of their albums which are unique works of art, as unique and profound as their emotive lyricism, and worthy of any collection.
“Lo sé porque muchos ya se fueron y hoy sigo sus pasos al caminar Y aquí tú y yo, solo quedamos los buenos, nadie nos enseña donde parar.” – Los Buenos
RUIDO FEST PRESENTS
7:00 PM DOORS / 8:00 PM SHOW – ALL AGES
Mismo Sitio, Distinto Lugar Tour 2019
2 OCTUBRE – NEW YORK, NY – SOB´S – SOLD OUT
3 OCTUBRE – WASHINGTON, DC – BLACK CAT
5 OCTUBRE – TORONTO, ON – ADELAIDE HALL
6 OCTUBRE – CHICAGO, IL – BOTTOM LOUNGE
9 OCTUBRE – DALLAS, TX – CLUB DADA
10 OCTUBRE – SAN ANTONIO, TX – PAPER TIGER
11 OCTUBRE – HOUSTON, TX – BRONZE PEACOCK AT HOB
13 OCTUBRE – TUCSON, AZ – CLUB CONGRESS – RAZA FEST
15 OCTUBRE – SAN DIEGO, CA – SOMA SIDESTAGE – ÚLTIMOS TICKETS DISPONIBLES
16 OCTUBRE – LOS ANGELES , CA – LODGE