Welcome to the Public Newsroom!
City Bureau and South Side Weekly are kicking off a workshop series from our South Side office and you’re invited. Every Thursday, we’ll turn our Woodlawn newsroom into an open space where journalists and the public can gather to discuss local issues, share skills and learn from a wide range of featured guests in a collaborative environment.
In short, the Public Newsroom is part work space, part workshop and a big move toward deeper community engagement from our newsroom.
Stop by our launch from 5-8p to talk with editors and reporters from both news outlets and see how you can get involved in our civic journalism network:
• Talk to editors/journalists from City Bureau and the South Side Weekly
• Sign up for City Bureau’s Documenters program
• Pick up archive copies of the South Side Weekly and find out how you can write for the paper
• Tell us who you want to see present at the Public Newsroom and what you want to see our teams cover and investigate (via Hearken)
• Get a preview of Build Coffee, opening this fall in the space adjacent to our newsroom (cold weather+warm coffee)
AND, for those who supported our Public Newsroom Kickstarter—stop by during the launch party to pick up your reward!