Supersónico Fest, a festival of Latin alternative music, is happening this Saturday, Oct. 11 in Los Angeles. If you still aren’t convinced you need to hop on a plane and head out to SoCal to join in on the festivities, read on!
1. Supersónico Fest is a really badass Latino happening, with media and music obsessives from all over the country congregating in LA. Gozamos will be on hand to cover the event. (If they insist on flying over us, we’ll fly over to them. Chicago, represent!)
2. Chicagoans may have easier access to the Latin Alternative Music Conference in New York City, but there’s something special about being able to hear so many of our artists in one day. As a music journalist, I love these kinds of festivals. Experiencing all that music in such a short period of time, reveling in the waves of an overlapping sonic experience from one moment to another is a glorious way to take the pulse of our music scene ahora mismo. Peep the video for a taste of that feeling!
3. There are 29 acts on three stages. These are staggered in such a way that in theory, it’s possible to check out partial sets of more than half of the artists. Team Gozamos promises we’ll give it our best shot. Plus, we’re crossing our fingers in the hopes of spontaneous jams from the artists present.
4. Los Angeles–or El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina los Ángeles, founded by Afro-Mexicans in 1781–is the perfect scene for a who’s-who primer event in alternative Latin music.
5. On Saturday, Oct. 11, it will be 88 degrees in LA. Need I say more?