I love having a couple of mini tacos rather than one big one, but small, mini tortillas are super hard to find- I’m not sure why. These two and three bite morsels let your taste buds experience the flavors together-it’s a party in your mouth. And the small tortillas allow this recipe to be used as an appetizer or as tapas.
I used white corn tortillas this time because I was out of flour ones, but the flavor worked fabulously together. I suggest you use what you have and what you prefer. These are outstanding tacos – moist, cheesy and slightly spicy.
It was Halloween the night we made these, so we enjoyed a pumpkin beer with our meal. Any dark beer would work! Enjoy as a appetizer or as a full meal. Mini foods are fat and happy!
Oregano Chipotle Pulled Turkey
- Turkey Tenderloin (1.5lbs) (could substitute pork- it will give better flavor but it’s also not as healthy)
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup water or broth
- 2 tbsp. fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
- Let that simmer with the the cover off until the liquid is reduced to half
- Shred, or ‘pull apart’ with two forks, and add:
- 1/2 can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 small can chopped chipotle chili’s (or you can use green chili’s, but the chipotle will garner more flavor)
- 2 tbsp. fresh oregano
- Fresh ground pepper (salt if needed)
- Cover, put heat on low – medium low, let simmer for a couple of hours.
- Potato Poblano Fundido
- 3/4 cup finely dice yellow onion
- 1 medium size potato, finely diced
- 1/4 cup small dice, roasted poblano pepper (add more or less depending on your heat preference and the heat of the peppers)
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup chopped or shredded smoked gouda
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
Saute onion and potato in olive oil until potatoes are nearly soft (this will happen relatively quickly when they are diced super small). Add the poblano peppers and beer, toss. Add cream, simmer on low for minute. Add cheese and parsley just before serving.
The Soft Taco, putting it all together:
Buy small (2 – 4″) flour tortillas, if you can’t find the small tortillas, cut them out of larger tortillas. Pile a scoop of the pulled turkey in the middle of a tortilla, add a small scoop of potato fundido. Fold and eat!
Tips and Techniques: If you can’t find the small 4″ tortillas, simply buy the larger ones and cut small circles out of them. Save the edges for top soups or to throw in salads.
Find more great recipes on Monique’s Blog at http://fatandhappyblog.blogspot.com/